Archive for July, 2010


The Race Is Done

Friday Practicing

Today we are practicing at the competition site, but we are alone. it seams that we are all alone with most of the other teams having major mechanical failures.

heres a video of us racing against the windsor team (they are not in autonomous mode).

more photos on flickr

jarek

Thursday in Windsor

What a day we have been doing a lot of coding and bug testing today so I don’t have much time to blog, but I can post all the pictures and videos I took today. If you want to see more click through to the flickr gallery.

some video of the robots in action.

Mark and Ian doing some last minute bug fixes.

We managed to make it to where the competition will be to do some testing on site.

Unfortunately we where rained out at the track and had to retreat to the hotel.

Hopefully the next post will be more substantial.

Jarek.

Arrival in Windsor

We managed to arrive in windsor with no major hiccups or flight delays.   After putting our bags in our hotel room we went out for pizza.  now that we have finished unpacking and putting all the tools away we are busily finding bugs and hopefully removing them.

jarek

Chassis Build

It’s been a long time sense I last posted an entry and I’ve done a lot in that time. the most visible improvement is the mounting platform. this platform is ware I place all the sensors and the electronics. It has to hold a lot of material. externally you can see the emergency stop, camera pan/tilt unit and the lidar. On the inside it holds the arduino, the arduino shield, a breadboard prototyping area, the battery for the lidar, the lidars voltage regulator and a netbook. to hold all of this equipment I have staked the netbook on top of the the rest of the electronics to maximize space usage and to hide all of the cables connecting the electronics together. I’ve also recessed the electronics into the main panel of the mounting platform to reduce the wasted space. the advantage of having all the electronics  in the mounting platform is to increase the ease of assembly and provide better assess to the components.

I chose to make the mounting platform out of corrugated plastic due to its ease of construction and relative light weight. the plastic glue holding it together comprises of at least half of it’s weight. the plastic is has the strength to support all the weight of the electronics without bending and it provides reasonable protection from light rain in the it won’t disintegrate like cardboard and water will only get to the electronics where the plastic is not glue together.

in making this chassis I went through two prototypes. the first was basically a sheet of corrugated plastic with the electronics duct taped on. while it worked, it had very little strength and was susceptible to failure from to much acceleration. the second version was and improvement made out of card board and hot glue for faster prototyping but it did not have sufficient space for the electronics which lead me to the final version where all of the electronics are under the computer.

the final version is made out of four pieces. the main section holds the majority of the electronics form the LIDAR to the e-stop. there are recessed compartments that allow for the secure placement of all the electrics and about 3 cm of space for all the wires. there is a small piece that goes on tom of the wires to place the net-book on top of and on top of that there is a cover that protects it from the rain and stops the net-book from flying out at high speeds. in the front of the robot there is a piece that holds the camera with a pan/tilt unit and a front facing IR sensor. this screws on to keep it in place during the race.

Jarek I.M.